Tuesday 20 July 2010

Summer Holidays and Outside Projects

As you see I haven't posted in a while but that's because it's the summer holidays!! So far I have chilled at home, went back to work as a houskeeper and celebrated my 20th birthday which was on the 15th of July.

Of course I can't really put my artwork on hold till i return to university because that would be boring!! So I have been working on some stuff [mainly band photography]. However I have also been working on something big and expressive which is just an inside project of my own.

The elections have now passed and the drama of voting have gone to a hold now..but the annoying thing was when the university elections were on. I wasn't that fussed about the whole voting but it was more of the waste of paper on the posters they created.

Of course since i'm a designer myself and will tend to waste paper now and then but with what the canidates of the elections did was awfull! They wallpapered the university with election posters..they werent variously scattered but just the same posters aligned on the same wall [like we can't read the first time!].

Anyways after the elections me and a few friends decided to take them down so I could create an artistic piece with them and express how i felt about the whole repetition and brainwashing the elections can be.
I ended with roughly 160 election posters and I didn't even manage to collect all of them!!

I wanted the artwork to be BIG not something small so I decided to work in A1

This piece is kind of an introduction to my artist name L-saurus which is something I wanted for a while, I know artist names can sometimes be silly however Laura Smith is a far too popular name so i decided to create something unique and with my initals :) so since my love of dinosaurs is a very popular icon to me I decided to stick to that.

It took me a while to think of what to do with the piece(Month after elections) however i finally sketched an outline and was happy with it.The dinosaur is suppose to me the inner me and on the image you see the dinosaur showing its aggression by crumpling up vote cards with its hands. The quote is from a clip i saw in the movie "Network" which is a live network of a guy talking about how things are collapsing and were just sitting around scared watching the tv and not expressing how mad we are and how our life has value. This is a great way to express on how i feel about the elections and the publicity of it all!


Since my favorite art medium is collage I decided to coat the image with the election posters to sort of show what I mean however all the words will be jumbled up and you only see cuttings of it just to show that its still election posters but since the words are all cut out it makes it look better.

Heres the poster so far







All i need to do is the background! Which i will upload as soon as i finish it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment